Sunday, August 4, 2013

NFL 2013 Begins!

   Growing up I always heard that baseball was America's favorite pass time. Today I have to say, I'm not so sure. Back in the great days of Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb, I could understand but there's something about American football today that I believe makes it America's new pass time. It seems that when that time of the year starts, the universe slows down and everything pauses for several reasons. It's too short, billions are spent on it, and there are so many superstars in the game that draw a crowd.
   The NFL isn't like the NBA or MLB where they're are over 100 games because in the National Football League, there are less than 30 games. Four Preseason games, 17 Season games, and additional games leading up to the Superbowl. In a way it's the quickest sport in the United States because once it's over, people are already missing it after February which is when the Superbowl traditionally is. From a business point of view it's smart because when you make people miss something they love, they do anything to move time faster. People empty their wallets every year over football and that's the next reason for my thesis.
   NFL owners spend millions of dollars bringing in new players, building new stadiums, and making new merchandise for fans to own and support their local or favorite team. Television networks are always bidding and working on maintaining the rights to show the games. Beer venders and supermarkets make millions off fans preparing for football get together whether it's over a friends house of tailgating which is when fans gather outside the stadium and watch outside. It's the only time of year were money is passed around just as much as Christmas shoppers on black friday. Owners are spending millions, if not billions of dollars and they do see a return through their superstar they draft or sign.
   People will pay to see superstars such as Tom Brady and Eli Manning because they are the key players that make or break a franchise. Fans buy their jerseys and anything they have their signatures on. These are the guys that inspire our children to be great themselves and again, these aren't the only guys. It's not like Boxing who may have one or two great boxers that everyone wants to see, like the NBA, the NFL have a superstar on every team that inspires not only the team but the community. If you could find me someone in the United States who doesn't know who Dan Marino was, I find you someone whose been living under  a rock.
   If you disagree with me then that's fine but this is my honest opinion and that's American football is the new pass time for this country. I work full time in a supermarket and from what I've seen, more people care more about football and are willing to spend the money when it's that time of year. I don't see people rushing to the store during the World Series and I don't see people buying ice for the NBA Finals. I would love a survey to be done to let the people decide if I'm right or wrong. Who do you think would win the title of "America's Favorite Pass Time?"

No comments:

Post a Comment