Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Why Wrestling Has Gone Downhill!

   I can remember the first WWE or back at the time, WWF wrestling match I saw. I was a little Anthony living at my grandparents house and I saw a copy of Wrestlemania 6 which was the one in Skydome which was when the Ultimate Warrior faced Hulk Hogan title for title match. That was when I saw the Legion of Doom or also known as the Road Warriors and I was hooked. The outfits, the attitude, I wanted to be out there with the make up on and the spike covered shoulder padding. I've been a wrestling fan all my life but as of late, I've been very disappointed with the product with what it has become.
   I watched the new show on E! known as Total Divas which shows life behind the curtain as a WWE diva and I have to say, I'm not surprised. The show if anything shows how the women are used as eye candy and are only there to entertain until the "other" athletes are ready to perform. I feel bad for these women because the ones that show talent are usually pushed to the side due to reasons unknown to the public. But that's not the only reason I feel that wrestling has gone downhill. The main reason I feel it's gone downhill is, there's nothing real about it anymore.
   Now I know wrestling is fake but what I mean by real, I mean wrestling has always made people feel as though what's happening was real. There is a reason that the attitude era was the most profitable era in wrestling history and that's because the people who performed were being themselves with the audience. Stone Cold Steve Austin is arguably the most popular wrestler that ever lived and not because he played a redneck from the south, but because he is a redneck from the south. He came from Texas, he drank beer and he had a rebellious attitude that's very alive and well in most people and I know that because I too am from the south. People could relate to wrestlers because they were being real and being real draws an audience.
   This whole PG, for whatever reason was put in place, I'll let you decide for yourself but it's holding WWE back from being the powerhouse it once was. Again, this is my opinion and you don't have to agree with me but I will say again that WWE is killing itself when it stopped being real. The most real wrestler they have right now is CM Punk because he isn't afraid to speak his mind. His push came after he aired his grievances and connected with the millions like me who watch WWE hoping for the day when the wrestlers can be real people in the ring again. Not these virtual cartoon characters that come out and put on a show for the children.
   If I'm wrong, which I believe I'm not, then why are the powers that be constantly bringing back these stars from the attitude era? Stone Cold, The Rock, Brock Lesner, and The Undertaker comes back for Wrestlemania, but why must they come back even when all these men have had successful careers? WWE has the best talent in the world and I have no doubt of that but they waste valuable airtime on wrestlers that have had their time. While I miss seeing a Stunner and a tombstone, I look in the mirror and realize that I have to let it go. We must start seeing new talent and a new generation of wrestlers that bring in the new audience while keeping the attention of the old.
   Right now they're doing a good job bringing in new talents and redesigning the tag team division. The Usos are a phenomenal tag team and are full of potential if given the proper opportunity and with the addition of the new heels, The Wyatt Family. Things are starting to look for the company but again, it's all going to depend on the direction the company wants to go. I'll be WWE man till I go to beyond the land of the living and I will say good things are coming to professional wrestling. Wrestling has been going downhill but now it's time to go upward and hopefully with the help of some real wrestlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment