Thursday, March 13, 2014

Faith In The Force

    Now I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of the last three Star Wars movies. Episodes 1-3 to me weren't as captivating as it's predecessors for several reasons to me. I won't waste time writing about that because it would take the whole blog but the main complaint for me is, you know what's going to happen. I'm not a fan of prequels because of the fact you already know how it's going to turn out so what's the point of watching it. I let it go with Star Wars just because I wanted to see Yoda kick the crap out of people and watching him fight was very entertaining.
    Overall however, the last three to me were a bomb but if you disagree then that's fine because I disagree with how everyone seems to be reacting to the new Star Wars films that will be coming out in the near future.  True fans of the franchise were worried off the bat after the announcement that Disney had acquire the rights to Star Wars. The thoughts of Mickey Mouse's hand holding the Death Star made some fans shaky but this gives the franchise more confidence because honestly, it's Disney. This is a company with arguably the deepest pocket in the world and that opens a lot of doors to advance the franchise.
    The next announcement that only shook the faith of Star Wars fans was the announcement that J.J. Abrams, the director of the last two Star Trek movies will be directing. This crosses a line between two franchises that are at odds with each other and I understand this but think about this. This is a director that brought Star Trek back from the dead, he made me a fan of that franchise. J.J. Abrams is a more than capable director of restoring Star Wars to it's former days of glory. It's going to be nice seeing a Star Wars film where you have no idea what is going to happen.
    Now I will share one concern that many fans are having and that's the lack of cast members announced. Many are hoping that originals such as Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher will be reprising their roles as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. The only recent announcement is that Adam Driver, actor known for his roles HBO's Girls will play the villain in the new saga. I don't know much about the man but like before, I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. I wait until I see a trailer before I come up with an idea of how I will like or dislike something.
    I do believe however that fans of the franchise will have to let the old stuff go because it seems clear that Disney will be making this for the new generation while catering a little to the old. That might be the main problem with making these films. The ideas are still being processed and nothing seems to moving forward yet which makes me believe that Disney is taking it's time with this to which I'm grateful for. When it comes to a popular franchise like Star Wars that has a very dedicated fan base, you need to do the job right. Disney has a reputation of doing the job right and they've hired the people who can deliver the goods in terms of science fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment