Sunday, September 1, 2013

One Year Anniversary.

   Yesterday was my one year anniversary returning to writing with the self publication of my ebook of poetry, Madness In A Recession. 3 other ebooks followed and I'm currently working on my 5th which should be out sometime next year, Confessions Of A Vampire. I decided to do several different forms to show the world what I can do and that I'm not just limited to one discipline. As my first year comes to a close I have the following to show for it. Even though I consider it a slow start, I'm proud of the work I've done and I have a lot of people to thank.
   I left college with my B.A. in English and after leaving Nova Southeastern University, I thought the world was going to be my oyster. I was going to get a job with a magazine or maybe a publishing house but then the recession hit and things went downhill from there. Even though I had experience being a freelance writer for the college newspaper and magazine, nothing really seemed to matter. After months of finding nothing, I just felt lost and submitted to what was 'secure' and took a job at a supermarket. It seemed logical because in a recession people are going to need food so it was a safe bet but while I was grateful, my life became empty.
   I woke up, I did the same job over and over again but while good things where happening in the company for me, it still wasn't enough. A good friend of mine saw this and he gave me the best advice ever, self-publishing ebooks. Grant it that it's a long shot, it's sparked a fire in me that I never thought would return. So I returned to what I went to college to do and put myself tens of thousands of dollars in debt and I can say that for the first time ever, I saw the plan. I truly feel that I was meant to be there at that time so I can recover my passion and that was the beginning of my self publishing career.
   It's been a long hard, expensive, and exhausting year trying to get these 4 ebooks going and I hope anyone who reads this will look me up and amazon and try them out. I have a lot of regrets right now in my life but I can honestly say that following my passion, is not one of them. If I were told right now that nothing would come of my works, I would still put everything I have into them. There is nothing more that give me life than creating worlds, building characters and giving them lives that I would love to live myself. This is what I was put on this world to do even if it doesn't mean anything in the end.
   I've had a slow start my first year with only a few followers and my page on is still starting out but I keep the faith in the unknown. A foundation has to be built on something and I'm grateful for how far I've come and I can't wait to see what the future holds. I want to personally thank my friends, God, my family, my fans and everyone who has and will support me. I would also like to say to anyone who wants to be writer, "Keep the faith." In the darkest of times, that one purchase can bring you out and help you see the light and all you need is to make your mark at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment