Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Phenomenal Streak Ends

    Last night at WWE's 30th WrestleMania, the Undertaker lost to WWE and MMA superstar Brock Lesner ending a streak that will most likely never be beaten. It started at WrestleMania VII when the Undertaker took on Hall of Fame Legend Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and now it ends after years of defending the streak against icon legends. Many have stood up over the years to challenge the Undertaker such as Rick Flair, Kevin Nash, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Triple H and Shawn Michaels but none of them could keep the "Deadman" down long enough for a three count. It's a record that spans over two decades and it was bittersweet to see it end tonight, I must admit that I was in tears. This is hands down, the most shocking event of the year for WWE and that's saying a lot.
    WrestleMania is considered, "The Showcase of the Immortals" and that means history is expected to be made on this night. Brock Lesner carved his name in stone when he gave his signature move, the F-5, 3 times to pin the undertaker. I've never seen so many dropped jaws in my life watching a WWE pay-per view. In a way, I don't even think that Brock Lesner believed it and I'm pretty sure he was in on the fact he was going to win. This in my opinion was the match that stole the show from the main event. If you haven't seen it then I'll stop there because I've spoiled enough but this was a great pay per view. The best that the WWE has produced in a very long time.
    It was nice to finally not see what I was expecting from the WWE. Watching the WWE for many years, I've come accustomed to seeing a script play out before it comes to fruition but when Brock Lesner won, I was taken completely by surprise. The rest of the matches that took place were equally entertaining, especially with The Shield vs. Kane and the New Age Outlaws  and the Andre The Giant battle royal was a wonderful addition. Hopefully we will be seeing another one next year.
    What I'm worried that we won't see next year, is the Undertaker. This loss makes me wonder if this was his last match because this isn't the first time a wrestler has decided to end his career at the mecca of wrestling events. The Undertaker is well known for retiring "Mr. WrestleMania" Shawn Michaels 3 years ago and Shawn Michaels retired the legendary Ric Flair in his last match. I think it's time we may have to prepare ourselves to wave goodbye to one of the biggest names in wrestling history.
    The Undertaker has left a legacy that can never be touched because he's the only character that actually made the fans believed he was from another place. The only wrestler I've seen that's put people in body bags, caskets and empty graves. When he was beaten, he would rise and transform into something better than before. He was an unstoppable force and he's become a name that will always be connected to words like immortal and greatness. The Undertaker's streak is dead but his legacy will live on because people like myself were fortunate enough to see it and will remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment